I just can’t stop eating this best ever Chocolate Buttercream frosting. Unlike the classic one this is not overly sweet. It’s smooth , creamy and very sturdy. This chocolate buttercream frosting is perfect for making decorations on the cake.
You can customize the intensity of chocolate to your taste as well as sweetness too. As you can see it pipes beautifully and has a nice sheen. This is my go to frosting for birthday cakes because it’s loved by all.
I have used my favorite eggless vanilla cake/ cupcake recipe for this one. Click here for the recipe link.
Chocolate buttercream is made couple of ways . Sometimes I just use cocoa , sometimes just melted chocolate. But I keep coming back to this recipe which has richness and decadence of both cocoa and chocolate.
What makes this frosting so good?
It’s the butter, combination of cocoa as well as melted chocolate plus few tablespoons of whipping cream . You can sub cream with full fat milk but don’t compromise on other ingredients.
You may also like my elaborate post on all about buttercream – click here for recipe link
Cream cheese frosting – click here for recipe.
All about chocolate ganache – click here for the recipe .
Pipeable whipped cream frosting- click here for the recipe.
Best ever chocolate buttercream frosting
- 1 cup soft unsalted butter room temp .. Not cold nor melted *
- 3 - 3.5 cups confectionary sugar / icing sugar sieved 2 times- don't skip
- ½ cup cocoa powder sifted
- ⅓ cup semi sweet chocolate chips / baking chocolate
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2- 3 tablespoon heavy cream to adjust consistency not cold or hot - but Luke warm*
- Melt the semi sweet chocochips/ baking chocolate in microwave or over double boiler.
- Keep aside until cool to touch .
- Use a beater attachment and not a whip / balloon attachment on a stand mixer or a handheld mixer.
- In a big bowl beat the butter on low speed for 1 minute .
- Then increase speed on medium - beat it for 5 minutes..
- Increase speed on high- beat it for 3 more minutes- yes total beating - at least 8-10 mins - scraping sides of the bowl in intervals to beat butter well..
- Butter will turn white fluffy and creamy .
- Now it's time to add vanilla essence and salt .
- Now beat everything on low.
- Beat it until mixed - about 10 seconds.
- Add sieved confectionery sugar a little at a time - ¼ cup at a time not all at once .
- Beat on low speed until incorporated.
- After adding 2.5 cups of sugar add the cocoa.
- Scrape sides occasionally throughout the process to make sure sugar and cocoa are mixed well.
- Add 1 tablespoon liquid - lukewarm full fat milk or cream .
- It may look a bit separated first but after beating everything comes together.
- Beat on low for 1 minute .
- Add rest 1 cup of sugar .
- While the blender is on slowly add the cooled melted chocolate and keep beating for 2 minutes.
- Once everything is incorporated . Check if u need to add 2 tablespoon milk/cream or not .
- Now its time to beat on high continuously for 3-4 minutes.
- Scoop buttercream on a spoon or spatula and turn over. Buttercream should hold and not drop down.
- You can adjust proportions now- add more sugar or liquid to get the desired consistency or adjust intensity of chocolate.
- Taste test , make sure you don't slurp up the entire bowl
- Viola - u did it .. Creamiest chocolate buttercream ever!
Shortening can be used instead of butter for hot weather.
Use good quality butter and sugar for great results.
You may use salted butter if unsalted is unavailable. Just skip the salt called for in the recipe.
Do not use granulated sugar
Use store bought confectionery/ icing sugar has a bit cornstarch mixed which gives nice stability to the buttercream.
For liquid part - if you have heavy cream on hand then use it - it adds to the creaminess.
Always sift the sugar for successful creamy frosting.
Store over the counter in a air tight container in a cool place for 2-3 days
In fridge upto one week
Freezer - long long time , 3-4 months
Let it come to room temp
Re whip whenever using it again
I prefer making smaller batches
For decorating these cupcakes I have used Wilton French Tip nozzle 6B.
So are you all set to decorate your next cake with this best ever chocolate buttercream frosting?
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. Please leave your valuable feedback and suggestions in the comments.
Pin this for later .
Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog. It’s free!
Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder.
Are we friends yet . Let’s connect on-
Do share it with the world!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
Thanks for stopping by.