Shall I take the liberty to say this is the Best Vegan Green Thai Curry we have ever tasted so far and it’s not store-bought but made from scratch in my very own kitchen.If you haven’t tried your hands on making thai curry from scratch yet then you definitely need to try this . You will be amazed how quick and easy it is to make this wonderful green thai curry at home with handful of ingredients and few minutes. Say bye bye to store-bought curry pastes and say hello to this super simple and flavorful curry. Thai curry with a side of steamed rice makes a wholesome and appetizing meal. Make it for lunch or dinner – It is just perfect .
hubby and me love Thai for 3 main reasons
spices and condiments – aaha !! its spicy and zingy so much like Indian cuisine.
clean and earthy flavors
Wholesome and hearty – full of veggies and herbs – yes its the only cuisine we don’t mind slurping down all the veggies happily.
If we go to a Thai restaurant one of the things we definitely order is the green curry or the red curry. Now let me warn you – ordering vegetarian or vegan thai at authentic restaurants can be a bit trickier. The reason being fish sauce or eggs are widely used in Thai preparations . I havent come across a single Thai restaurant which understands the concept of vegetarianism . Saying ‘no meat ‘ isnt enough ,so whenever we order we never fail to mention ‘ no fish, no eggs, no meat .
Now a days vegan food is gaining a lot of prominence and if we are in a mood of having Thai , vegan restaurants are always our 1st choice. Imagine .. we can have anything and everything on the menu which isn’t the case otherwise.
But different restaurants have different ways of making this thai curry . Some are fabulous – perfect medley of veggies, perfect taste and texture and some are tasteless -thin watery curry .
And unfortunately we have experienced the latter a lot.
I started making thai curries at home after I got married . So the first time i must have made it is in 2008. I was amazed how simple it is . But I have to make a confession – The first few times I made it- taste was ok not that great. But over the time I have just perfected it . And I am happy to share it with you.
My family and friends enjoy this recipe as much as I do and whenever they make it , they have only good things to say about this fabulous no fail homemade green curry.
Lets talk in brief about this curry
This might not be the most authentic thai curry – because its vegetarian and have my own twists ,but you will definitely fall in love with it.
The color , the flavors,the aroma, the texture- bang on!!
Medley of vegetables tossed in freshly made spicy green curry paste and simmered in coconut milk .
The combination of spicy curry paste and the delicate and sweet flavor of coconut milk is absolutely divine.
and how can I forget steamed tofu – yayyy… we just love the addition of tofu – protein packed indeed.
Healthy goodness in a bowl.
Healthy and balanced meal
Ready in minutes
Loaded with veggies
Do give it a try and send me your clicks on so that I can feature it on my facebook page – carveyourcraving .
Veg Green Thai Curry
- FOR CURRY PASTE
- ½ cup loosely packed basil leaves *
- ¼ cup loosely packed coriander leaves*
- 1 ” long ginger or galangal … skin peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass paste I have used but if you don’t have use zest of one lemon important don’t skip
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3-4 kaffir lime leaves- if not available just add ½ teaspoon of more lemon zest
- 1-2 green chillies adjust to your spice level
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon grounded pepper
- ¼ cup spring onions both white and green part if not available use ¼ cup normal onions
- 1 tablespoon peanut / vegetable or sesame oil
- 2-3 tablespoon water
- For rest of the curry part
- 2 cups of assorted veggies approx I have used carrots, beans, water chestnut , bell peppers , broccoli, cauliflower
- ½ cup cubed and steamed firm tofu I steamed it for 1 minutes covered with damp cloth in the microwave (optional )
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 2-3 tablespoon oil
- 1 can of unsweetened coconut milk or around 1.5 cups
- ¼ to ½ cup water to use as needed
- Salt to taste
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2-3 basil leaves roughly torn optional
- Grind all ingredients of thai curry paste until smooth
- In a wok / pan heat up oil .
- sautee garlic for 30 secs ,
- add the veggies .. cook for 2 minutes .
- Add 3-4 tablespoon green curry paste, soy sauce . saute for a minute.
- add coconut milk and water to thin the curry, add salt .
- let the curry come to a simmer .
- taste test and adjust seasoning or add more curry paste.
- add tofu towards the end.
- let the curry cook for 1 more minute .
- taste test again .
- Switch off the flame and add torn basil leaves.
- Serve with piping hot steamed rice.
chopping the veggies a day before
make and store green curry paste - keeps well in the fridge for a week and 2 months in the freezer.
I didn't have thai basil when i decided to make this curry so I have used italian basil and which worked beautifully as well .
If you like this post do drop in your feedback and rate this post. Thank you.