Dreaming of beautiful healthy skin & hair then you have to include this beta carotene booster vegetable & red lentil soup in your routine. Moreover this soup promotes good vision and immunity.
A hearty blend of fresh vegetables and red lentils plus delicious spinach topping leaves you completely satisfied. It is filled with plethora of benefits and comes together in 30 minutes.
When it is cold and rainy outside all I crave is a big bowl of piping hot soup. Soups are nourishing, healthy , cozy and comforting. And this one here my friend is no exception.
For a moment keep your supplements aside and try real food.
This soup is packed with beta carotene which is further converted into Vitamin A.
Beta-carotene is a red-orange pigment found in plants and fruits and our body converts beta carotene into Vitamin A .
Beta carotene from food source is safer to consume as compared to the supplements .
The advantage of dietary beta-carotene is that the body only converts as much as it needs.
Excess vitamin A is toxic. Toxic vitamin A levels can occur if you consume too many supplements.
So getting nutrition from food directly is always a good idea.
Moreover adding red lentils makes it a protein rich soup too .
I make this soup at least once a week and try to eat Vitamin A rich food’s throughout .
It is not difficult to get your daily dose of Vitamin A everyday.
We love this soup because it’s –
Packed with Vitamin A and Protein.
Comes with great benefits.
Under 30 minutes.
Pressure cooked in Instant Pot.
What is this soup made of ?
I have used beta carotene rich orange / red pigment produce like sweet potatoes, red & orange bell peppers , carrots , onions and tomatoes .
I have even amplified this soup for some great protein & extra nutrition intake by adding red lentils.
And instead of topping it with croutons I have pan sautéed some spinach – again a great source of beta carotene with a touch of garlic and a generous sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Pressure cooking this soup in my Instant Pot makes this soup a breeze . You may even cook it on the stove top or traditional pressure cooker. Look for further instructions and recipe below.
Vegetable and Red Lentil Soup
- 2 teaspoon cooking olive oil/ preferred oil
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger
- ½ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup red lentil/ dal washed 3 times and drained
- 4 medium sized carrots diced
- 2 medium-sized red bell peppers optional
- 2 sweet potatoes medium size, diced
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 2.5 cups water OR vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder optional
- ½ teaspoon of chili powder optional
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
For topping (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cooking olive oil / or of your choice.
- 3 cloves of garlic grated
- 8 cups chopped spinach
- Sat and pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Roughly chop all veggies called for the soup.
- Instant pot method
- Switch Instant pot to saute mode .
- Once warm add in the onions and saute for a minute.
- Then add in the ginger and saute for 30 seconds.
- Dump in all the veggies and the red lentils and add water.
- Add in the turmeric and chili powder now .
- Give it a quick stir .
- Close the lid and keep sealing position.
- Press cancel to get out of saute mode.
- Press manual 6 minutes high pressure.
- Let it cool with NPR ( natural pressure release. ) Will take 10 minutes to cool down.
- Open the lid and check if the lentils and sweet potatoes are done.
- Puree the soup with immersion blender . Add more water if needed.
- Add salt and pepper . Taste test.
- While the soup is under making you can make the topping simultaneously .
- For topping.
- In a pan heat the oil. Add in garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add in the spinach and sautee until wilted , about a minute.
- Add in salt , lemon juice and pepper if desired.
- Serve soup warm with spinach topping and sprinkle some sesame seeds.
Turmeric & chili are optional. They add more flavor and have health benefits. Skip if you don't have any. You may use vegan better than bullion too. You may swap carrots with more sweet potatoes or vice versa. If the soup feels too thick, add vegetable stock or water to adjust the consistency. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Storage information.
- This is a big-batch soup recipe.
- It stays well n the fridge for 4 days and in the freezer for 3 months. Once thawed do not refreeze.
- You may cut the recipe in half if desired.
You may add coconut milk towards the end after it’s blended for extra richness.
Pin this for later 🙂
See why beta carotene is so important for you here.
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. Do leave me your valuable comments and suggestions below . You can even leave me a message on my Facebook page Carveyourcraving.
Did you know that Pinterest has an exciting new feature . The “Tried it” button that lets you check off recipes that you have tried and leave your reviews. You can leave a special note or add your valuable tip for other readers as well. All you have to do is log into your Pinterest account . You will find a check mark on the top of every recipe or project that you have pinned . Check the ones you are done with and leave a review if desired ?
Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.
Are we friends yet . Let’s connect on-
Do share it with the world!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
Thanks for stopping by.