Summer means strawberries and how can I not make this super rich and easy eggless strawberry ice-cream without an ice-cream maker .
Yup , you do not need to churn or use an ice cream maker to make your own ice cream at home .
Just few ingredients , mix them up , freeze, scoop and slurp!
With summer at it’s peak here we are enjoying our share of frozen treats. And nothing beats strawberries at this moment .
All this sounds great – what if I don’t have fresh strawberries
Simply use frozen ones .
use berries of your choice .
Even better – use any fruit of your choice to make your favorite seasonal fruit ice cream .Think orange , kiwis or even grapes . What say? Are you game!
Instant no churn ice creams are a fashion now. And why not , they work great , taste great and the best part you can customize the way you want.
The recipe for instant homemade no churn ice cream is a pretty standard base –
Condensed milk plus
Rest you are only limited by your imagination.
Honestly I have been making ice cream at home this way for only about 3 years now.
And this is the first time I have tried my hands on strawberry ice cream .
I have been experimenting this version of strawberry ice cream all month long in my kitchen – 3 times to be precise and glad to tell you we have a winner . An ice –creamy that is rich and creamy . Free of ice crystals . Screams strawberries without added color or essence. A true fruity treat .
In this post I will walk you through my experiments , do’s and don’ts , conclusion and final note.
First time I made this ice cream – I wanted to keep it super simple – no cook strawberry ice cream .
So here is what I did –
Standard base plus strawberry puree shown in the picture below-
So did it work ? hmmmmm… kind of , not exactly what I was looking for.
Experienced some ice crystals.
Less concentrated strawberry taste, felt more cream like .
Melted rather quickly but not a major issue.
But ice cream is ice cream , we enjoyed it anyways.
The second experiment
Standard base plus made quick strawberry jam plus added loads of chopped strawberry chunks.
Tasted much better , more fruity and strawberry-ish
But a lot of chunks weren’t a very good idea.
Difficult to scoop because of chopped strawberries inside the ice cream and strawberries felt frosty .
Melted quiet soon but not a major issue .
The third and final experiment – drumroll ………… a sweet success
This version got me dancing as I finally nailed the best homemade strawberry ice cream in my opinion .
Standard base plus instant strawberry jam plus milk powder plus few chopped strawberries , like very few .
Bang on , everything that I was looking for – rich , creamy , fruity and without ice crystals and held without melting for a long time.
Finally this was all worth the effort and experience .
I am happy to share the best version I have come across till date.
My husband , my critique calls it better than ‘Naturals ‘ ice cream . Naturals is an ice cream chain in India which we love love love . And this compliment just made me feel so accomplished .
Let’s talk about the winning recipe –
SO what’s with the melting and how did I minimize it
Well , it’s ice –cream and gotta melt. But I needed solution for it to hold well for a longer time. Much needed when you know your kids are going to eat it. When my son has ice – cream it’s all over him before it finishes it off , as I said not a problem as such . So I experimented by adding some milk powder and noticed quiet a difference. Apparently it worked , though it’s completely optional.
This recipe is split into two parts
- Making the standard base for ice cream – whipped cream plus condensed milk.
- Making the instant strawberry jam .
Did you know making instant jams are super easy. I do it all the time. It adds so much fresh flavors to your warm toast , pancake or waffles. And this recipe works great for making the ice cream too.
So one post , two recipes and infinite possibilities .
Feel free to use your favorite fruit to make the jam.
Let’s get jamming 🙂
Quick strawberry jam recipe
Easy eggless strawberry icecream without an icecream maker
- 1 lb strawberries
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- Wash and roughly chop strawberries.
- Place them in a bowl and sprinkle some sugar on it.
- Give it a quick mix and cover it .
- Let it stand for 20-30 minutes.
- The strawberry releases juices after sugar is added.
- After 30 minutes , puree strawberry . You may leave it chunky and smash it later while cooking.
- Now heat a heavy bottom pan on low medium heat.
- Add the strawberry puree, lemon juice and water .
- Stir occasionally.
- Let it come to a boil.
- Now add salt.
- Now keep on stirring frequently to avoid sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- The pectin in the fruit is enough to get it thicker and form a beautiful instant jam.
- The entire process will take around 15-20 minutes.
- Keep stirring , it will be done when it thickens enough like jam .
- Switch off the heat and let it cool in the pan.
- After it completely cools down transfer in a glass container if not using it right away.
- Add it to your ice –cream
I have kept it basic. But add some cinnamon or cayenne pepper or throw in some fresh herbs like basil or mint or rosemary and you will have the best jam ever.
Use berries / fruits of your choice.
You can use frozen berries too , just cook few minutes longer for the water to evaporate.
If using other fruits, adjust sugar according to the sweetness of fruits used.
This recipe doesn’t yield very sweet jam because I like it a bit tart when added to the ice – cream.
Once you add this jam to the ice- cream the sweetness balances off with condensed milk.
Store instant jam in the fridge for 4-5 weeks.
Recipe for the ice-cream
Easy eggless strawberry icecream without an icecream maker
- 2.5 cups chilled heavy cream
- 1 can condensed milk
- ¾ - 1 cup of prepared jam
- 2 tablespoon sifted no lumps milk powder*
- ¼ cup chopped strawberries
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon strawberry jam for swirling
- 2 sliced strawberries for garnish
- Using a balloon electric whisk , whip the cream for 2 minutes until it thickens a bit.
- Add in the salt and sifted milk powder and whip it until firm peaks.
- Now fold in the condensed milk , prepared strawberry jam and chopped strawberries gently.
- Taste test.
- Now pour the mixture in a freezer safe pan.
- Top it with strawberries if desired.
- Freeze, scoop , enjoy!
Do not over whip or the cream will turn into butter and become useless.
Cover with plastic cling wrap touching the ice cream then freeze it . This prevents the formation of ice crystals on top.
Freeze it for at least 7-8 hours before serving.
Take it out of the freezer and give it 10 minutes stand time before scooping.
Pin below image for later .
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try.
Do not miss a single recipe by subscribing to my blog and following me on my facebook pagecarveyourcraving . I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section and follow me onPinterest .
Keep in touch on instagram – follow me here.
We are now on twitter too – follow me here.
Do share it with the world!
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by.