Love Sabudana khichdi ? but somehow can’t get it right . Does it turn mushy or sticky and completely unappetizing then today’s post- How to make perfect non-sticky Sabudana Khichdi / tapioca pearls pilaf has got you covered .
This delicious dish is vegan and gluten-free too.
Sabudana Khichdi is one of the most popular comfort food in India. It’s also know by sago khichdi and tapioca pearl pilaf. Beautiful tender tapioca pearls coated with crunchy roasted peanuts and sautéed with potatoes using spices with generous squeeze of lemon. A true humble meal for folks of all ages.
It’s mostly made during fasting/vrat/upvaas season like Navratri , Shivratri , Ekadashi but not limited to the same. Sabudana khichdi makes an appetizing and filling breakfast , lunch , dinner or a snack and with few minutes of pre preparation ,this delicious meal comes together in a flash.
We absolutely love it with a side of chilled yogurt. Simple pleasures of life right!
I have had my share of making sticky , lumpy , mushy Sabudana khichdi when I was a rookie years back but not anymore. I have learnt how to make this delicious khichdi from my mother in law and it turns out amazing every time.
Given below is step by step pictorial followed by the recipe and tips for making the perfect non – sticky sabudana khichdi . It is important to go through the tips for a successful khichdi so please do not skip them.
Why does my Sabudana Khichdi turn so sticky and lumpy ?:(
Well , if you soak Sabudana/ tapioca in more water than required then it will turn mushy and sticky.
so how to make perfect non-sticky Sabudana Khichdi / tapioca pearl pilaf ?
Solution– Place Sabudana in a colander .Wash Sabudana under cold tap water until clear water appears. This takes off most of the starch and prevents sticking. Soak sabudana by adding just enough water to cover them . Just ¼ inch more than sabudana level.
Secondly after the sabudana have fluffed up , drain off excess water if any before cooking.
Thirdly , less is more. Don’t use a lot of oil to cook sabudana .
How do I know when sabudana is soaked well and ready to cook ?
There is a wide range of sabudana available in the market with different quality. Some are ready instantly , some need 3-4 hours of soaking and some need more time. I suggest soaking for 5-6 hours ,preferably overnight for non instant ones.
Always do the smash test mentioned below to know that sabudana is ready or not for cooking.
Pick up a soaked pearl and mash it between your finger and thumb. It should squish easily .
Do the smash test and if not ready , sprinkle some water and give a quick stir and let it sit for 2 more hours.
Smash test again, drain any excess water.
Now you are all set to make the khichdi.
Steps given below for how to make perfect non-sticky Sabudana Khichdi / tapioca pearl pilaf.
How to make Sabudana Khichdi recipe
DID YOU TRY THIS RECIPE? Don’t forget to give a ★ rating. Just click on the stars in the Recipe below to rate!!!
How to make perfect non-sticky Sabudana Khichdi / tapioca pearl pilaf
- 440 grams / 2 cups Sabudana before soaking
- 450 ml/ 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3-4 curry leaves*
- ½ tablespoon grated ginger *
- 2 green chillies finely chopped *
- 2 medium sized potatoes peeled and cubed / 2 cups approx
- ½ cup roughly crushed roasted peanuts *
- Salt to taste sendha namak for upvaas
- 2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice or to taste
- Fistful of Chopped cilantro *
- Few roasted peanuts for garnish
- Place Sabudana in a colander .Wash Sabudana under cold tap water until clear water appears. This takes off most of the starch and prevents sticking.
- In a big wide bowl soak sabudana by adding just enough water to cover them . Just ¼ inch more than sabudana level.
- Soak covered for 5-6 hours , preferably overnight.
- Sabudana will fluff up after soaking .
- Do the smash test mentioned above in the tips .
- Drain off excess water if any before cooking.
- Add oil to a heavy bottom non stick pan .
- Once warm , add in the cumin seeds.
- Add in the cubed potatoes and cook on a low flame until tender , flipping it occasionally.
- Now add in the curry leaves , ginger , chopped chilies and cook for a minute more.
- Meantime, add in sugar, salt , crushed roasted peanuts and lemon juice to the sabudana bowl and mix well.
- Now add the coated sabudana to the pan , mix everything well and cook until the sabudana are a bit translucent and well coated.
- Keep stirring occasionally.
- Taste test and adjust the seasoning if needed .
- Add in lots of chopped cilantro and more peanuts.
- Serve warm with chilled yogurt.
Go through the tips mentioned above for perfect non sticky sabudana khichdi.
You may add pomegranate or grated coconut if desired.
You may substitute green chilies with red chilly powder.
You may skip ginger, but it adds a lot of flavor .
Pin this on your pinterest board for later reference .
Hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. Love being here , don’t miss a single recipe- Subscribe now – it’s free and get every recipe in your inbox.Subscription box is on the home page and below every recipe post.If you have tried any of my recipes do drop in a feedback in the comment section or on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section or tag me @carveyourcraving on instagram.
Happy cooking!!! Do share it with the world!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVEYOURCRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.
Thanks for stopping by.