This Thai spiced Butternut Squash soup is full of robust flavors , healthy and creamy without any added cream or sugar.
It’s vegan as well as gluten free .
Butternut Squash, the most delicious among all winter squashes has been our house favorite all Fall. Of course anything that has the word butter in it have to be tasty right!! Jokes apart , if you haven’t tried butternut squash yet, please do so as it’s not only yum but comes with truck load of benefits .
Did you know –
One cup of butternut squash provides a whopping 437% percent of your vitamin A needs for the day, as well as 52% of vitamin C and 10% or more of vitamin E, thiamine, niacin, vitamin B-6, folate, magnesium and manganese.Butternut squash is an excellent source of potassium, bringing in 582 milligrams per 1 cup (cubed) – more than a banana.
Source –read more benefits here .
This season , I have been using butternut squash in almost everything I cook . The delicate sweet buttery flavor just blends in beautifully in rice, stews , soups , salads etc. I am even freezing butternut squash chunks , so that I can enjoy it for an extended period.
Today I am sharing a yummy soup recipe with you which needs only 10 minutes prep time, no roasting in the oven , rest is simmering and quick purée . I have spiked up the soup with some thai curry paste to add some kick which is much-needed in this cold weather. This time I have just topped the soup with coconut milk and not added any while cooking it .This soup is utterly butterly delicious on its own. Feel free to add coconut milk , it will make the soup richer in taste. I have even used some cauliflower for added benefits and creamier texture. My son is a picky eater so I always hide veggies he doesn’t like in soups , dals etc . Feel free to skip it.
You can make a big batch and freeze it to enjoy later , for quick-lunch box or dinner.
Stays well 3 days in the fridge and 2 months in the freezer. Freeze in one time use portions, do not re freeze.
If you find it difficult to cut the squash, refer to you tube videos or just buy ready chopped squash chunks.
Home made Thai curry paste recipe can be found here. You can skip the spice , but adding it makes it more flavorful.
Thai spiced butternut squash soup
- 700 grams butternut squash diced
- 1 onion 190 grams
- Handful of cauliflower 150 grams
- 3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 cups or more of water / vegetable broth
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- Dash of black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon thai curry paste – recipe link mentioned above
- Garnish optional
- Coconut milk
- Spring onions
- Fresh red chilies
- In a large saucepan, heat up the oil on medium heat, saute the onions and garlic for a minute, add in butternut squash, sautee for 2-3 minutes, add in cauliflower, enough water to cover the veggies, and cinnamon stick.
- Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Cool down the mixture, and discard the cinnamon.
- Now puree this mixture in a high-speed blender. Add more water or broth to adjust desired consistency.
- Return the puree to the saucepan, and add in the curry paste, salt, and pepper to taste. Cook until a simmer.
- Taste test and adjust the seasoning. Garnish. Serve piping hot.
Skip the spice if you do not prefer it. Just squeeze in some lemon and add a dash of pepper for extra flavor.
Find me on Pinterest here !!
hope you like this recipe and do give it a try. I would love to hear from you. If you have tried any of my recipes make sure you click pictures of your hard work and do drop in a feedback below and pictures on my Facebook page carveyourcraving in messages section.
Are we friends on instagram . Let’s be one here.
Do share it with the world !
If sharing ,please link back to the post as reproducing, distributing or copying pictures or text/ recipes that belong to carveyourcraving on any other platform is a copyright violation. You can always link back to the website.
Thanks for stopping by!