Thinking what to do with over ripe bananas ? Then quickly run to the kitchen and make these moist Vegan banana chocolate muffins. These easy muffins are homemade from scratch using simple ingredients found in your pantry. Look at the soft and fluffy texture of these muffins!! No one will believe that muffins this good are dairy free , egg free , butter free and made with better for you ingredients. Moreover this vegan banana muffin recipe that I am sharing with you today is loaded with double dose of chocolate in form of cocoa as well as chocolate chips.
Banana muffins are my absolute favorite kind of muffins. Adding chocolate to the muffins ( DOUBLE CHOCOLATE ) makes it all the more awesome!! I would call these better than bakery muffins because
- None of the bakeries near me makes vegan muffins 🙁
- These muffins are so easy ” DIY ” at home.
These vegan banana chocolate muffins make a great breakfast treat or evening snack. It even makes wonderful snack for kids lunch box.
While this recipe is super easy and very forgiving I would like to share some tips to make them best each and every time.
Some important tips and tricks to make the best muffins at home –
Always use ingredients at room temperature including milk.
Check the strength of baking powder or soda if they are too old. It is the main culprit if your baked goods are turning dense.
Follow the recipe to the T. If you want to make any alterations other than mentioned feel free to drop in a comment . I would love to help you.
Secret to making moist muffins without eggs-
One thing I hate is dry and dense muffins . We do not need to use eggs to make our muffins moist . Bananas, applesauce, yogurt , sour cream or flaxseed meal makes an excellent substitute for eggs and turns egg free muffins incredibly moist too!
Some FAQ’s while making muffins –
Difference between cupcakes and muffins?
I get this question a lot from my readers. There are few differences between a cupcake and a muffin
- Cupcakes are frosted while muffins are not. At the most they may have a crunchy top or streusel top made with flour , butter and sugar.
- Muffins are meant to be healthier than cupcakes.
- Muffins are generally eaten for breakfast or a snack and less sweet than cupcakes. Muffins are generally sweetened by natural ingredients like bananas, applesauce or maple/ agave / honey.
- Muffins are denser than cupcakes because they are mostly made with healthier flour or blend of flours like whole wheat, oatmeal, almond flour while some bakeries only use all purpose flour.
- Cupcakes are tender because they are mostly made using all-purpose flour.
- The pans used for cupcakes and muffins vary too. Muffins are bigger than cupcakes with domed top.
Are muffins healthy?
These chocolate banana muffins are a better swap for the all-purpose flour muffins or cupcakes. Moreover this muffin recipe is without butter and processed sugar. So that makes it a better option in my opinion.
Can I make these muffins in a cupcake pan or a muffin pan is a must?
Yes of course , you can do either or.I totally get it that you do not want to stock a lot of pans. For this recipe I have used a cupcake pan instead of a muffin pan. You will yield more cupcakes than muffins in a cupcake pan. Instructions on using both are given in the recipe card below.
Can I make banana muffins with not so ripe bananas ?
Bananas with black spots all over the peel are the best . The sweetness and the nutrition level is the highest in over ripe bananas . So it calls for less sugar to be used in the batter too. Over ripe bananas mashes well too. Saying that if you are really craving and excited to make these vegan muffins now and do not have overripe bananas just go ahead and use the ones you have and adjust sugar accordingly.
Can I make this vegan banana chocolate chip muffin recipe gluten-free ?
Yes you can make these muffins gluten-free. Just swap the wheat flour with ground oatmeal or pre mixed gluten-free flour .
Can you actually taste bananas in this muffin recipe ?
Even though these muffins have a lot of bananas the taste of bananas is subtle. This is because the chocolate tastes pretty intense and overpowers the bananas in this muffin recipe .
Can I substitute bananas with applesauce in this muffin recipe?
Yes you may. The muffins will still be super moist with applesauce .But it would no longer be banana muffins …Just to let you know 🙂
How to make the best vegan banana chocolate muffins?
Most bakery style muffins are dry , dense and overly sweet.What I like about this Vegan muffins recipe is that it is soft, fluffy and not dense . These muffins are very moist and not overly sweet too.
For this Vegan Chocolate banana muffin recipe I have swapped all purpose flour with a blend of whole wheat and almond flour.
As these muffins have cocoa powder , as well as bananas using sugar is necessary to cut the bitterness.
Bananas are a great substitute for eggs here too. They make these muffins moist and there is a need for very little fat and sugar in this recipe.
I have made these vegan muffins healthy by using coconut sugar and avocado oil . Use your desired sugar and oil. The final result won’t make much of a difference!
I have used cupcake pan which makes the muffins all the more controlled portion size.
Using semi sweet chocolate chips wasn’t optional for us because we love it. You may swap it with dark chocolate or skip.
I have used a combination of baking powder and baking soda to get these muffins soft and fluffy . This combination is just pure magic for vegan muffins or cupcakes.
You should make this Vegan banana chocolate muffins recipe because it’s-
DOUBLE CHOCOLATE!!! How can you resist!!!
Allergy friendly .
Plant based .
Made with simple ingredients.
With easy Gluten-free option.
Decadent as a chocolate cake.
Great as breakfast or tea time snack .
Grab n go snack.
You might want to give these easy muffin recipes below a try too-
Vegan banana chocolate muffins recipe –
Vegan banana chocolate muffins
- 3 medium sized over ripe bananas
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup avocado oil or your preferred oil
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon coconut sugar or of your choice
- ½ cup almond milk or choice
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips or of your choice
- 1 teaspoon flour
If using Cupcake pan
- Pre heat oven to 350 deg F and line 12 cup standard CUPCAKE pan with liners.
If using muffin pan
- Pre heat oven to 375deg F
- Grease or line 9 standard size muffin cavities of a Muffin pan.
- In a small bowl place chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of flour and mix well to coat.
- This is done so that the chocolate chips do not sink at the bottom while baking.
- In a blender add roughly chopped bananas, oil, sugar, milk, vinegar, vanilla and blend until smooth.
- In another bowl sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt and give a quick mix with the spoon.
- Now pour in the blender mixture in the dry ingredients and blend with an electric balloon whisk or by manual whisk until lump free.
- Do Not overmix.
- Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips and mix gently.
- Scoop the batter into the cupcake cavities little over ¾ full.
- Top reserved chocolate chips on top of each muffin batter.
- Bake in the pre heated oven on the middle rack for 18-22 minutes for muffins and 20-25 minutes for muffin pan or until toothpick inserted in the middle cupcake comes out with few crumbs or clean but not with sticky batter.
- Once done take out the muffins out of the pan and let them stand in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Later take out the muffins and dig in or let them cool on a cooling rack before storing.
Pin this recipe for future reference –
Hope you like this easy recipe on how to make Vegan banana chocolate muffins and give it a try. Let me know if you have any questions below in the comment section. Never miss a recipe . If you like being here do subscribe to my blog.Make sure you have us in your contact list so that the recipe does not land in spam folder. Carveyourcraving(at)gmail(dot)com .
Happy cooking!!!Do share it with the world!!!Thanks for stopping by!!
IF SHARING ,PLEASE LINK BACK TO THE POST AS REPRODUCING, DISTRIBUTING OR COPYING PICTURES OR TEXT/ RECIPES THAT BELONG TO CARVE YOUR CRAVING IS A COPYRIGHT VIOLATION. YOU CAN ALWAYS LINK BACK TO THE WEBSITE.