This Indian vegetarian tortilla soup is a delicious way to hide rotis and vegetables in food for picky eaters. It is a quick and flavorful soup recipe that your entire family can enjoy. This Vegan one-pot meal is ready under 30 minutes! Make it hands-free using an Instant Pot.
With two fussy kids at home, I love sneaking veggies in their food. And the easiest way to do so is to make a soup. Lots and lots of soup like this creamy broccoli cauliflower soup or this garden vegetable soup.
My mom made this Indian style vegetarian tortilla soup often when we were toddlers. As any normal kid out there my brother and I were not much interested in eating healthy wholesome food. We were big-time fussy eaters, especially when it came to vegetables.
I belong to an Indian family so our daily meal scene was roti, sabzi, dal, and rice.
My mom tells me that I took over an hour to finish off one small roti and didn’t eat my veggies well.
So she started hiding it in the form of soup frequently and it worked! It was like a one-pot meal good enough to keep us full for a longer time.
Well, eventually we started eating our meals properly. But kudos to my mom and every mom out there who has her own hacks to do whatever that makes it work.
What is Indian Vegetarian Tortilla soup?
Tortilla soup literally means soup made with rotis. This Indian version of the tortilla soup is different than the Mexican tortilla soup.
This soup is meatless, no chicken and completely vegetarian.
It is a great recipe to use leftover rotis.
I throw in a few vegetables that hide well in the soup with the rotis.
Indian tortilla soup ingredients
The ingredient list is very clean and simple with bold flavors and nutrition.
I have used leftover rotis from lunch.
Rotis make the soup wholesome and thicken it naturally without adding any starches or cream.
It’s a hidden vegetable soup as well so I have used veggies like onion, carrots and sweet potatoes.
I have kept it simple with just some grated fresh ginger, salt, crushed black pepper, and oregano.
This soup doesn’t have any garlic but you can add it if you like it that way.
Cashew maple drizzle (highly recommended)
Basically, this drizzle is made with cashews and sugar-free maple syrup drizzle spiced with sriracha hot sauce.
Oh boy, you need to try it – it’s bold, it has a kick and balanced flavors. It leaves you wanting for more soup- slurp, slurp!!
Truly speaking maple syrup wasn’t the part of the plan. It was just going to be siracha and cashews, but it turned a bit hot, so had to add some sweetness, hence maple syrup. And the taste was so perfect.
My 8-year-old loved this cashew topping but I avoided it for my 2-year-old. I just topped his soup with a teaspoon of olive oil.
You will have a leftover dressing that can be used to dip your favorite veggies for a snack or top it on your salad.
Some spring onions and croutons for extra flavor and crunch.
A convenient way to make tortilla soup
I love the pressure-cooking method to make this soup. I make a big batch of this vegan tortilla soup in my Instant Pot without much hassle. Instant pot doesn’t require any monitoring of the soup while it is cooking.
All I have to do is dump all ingredients in the pot cook and then blend it with an immersion blender.
Helpful tips to make Indian vegetarian tortilla soup
- Use preferred tortilla of choice and tear them into tiny pieces for it to cook faster.
- The soup thickens considerably after it cools especially after refrigeration.
- Rehydrate the soup with water or stock to achieve the right consistency.
- You may double the recipe and use it as leftovers for office lunch.
You may use vegetable of your choice to make this soup.
Sweet potato adds creaminess without cream.
Possible substitutions for it is cauliflower, yams, potatoes, butternut squash.
Consider using celery or tomatoes.
You may even add a handful of red lentils to it for extra nutrition
Substitute for cashews in the drizzle
Swap raw cashews for 2 tablespoon cashew or peanut butter instead called for the drizzle.
Use agave or sugar in place of maple syrup.
Substitute sriracha with your choice of hot sauce, cayenne pepper powder depending on your spice level or simply skip it.
Allergy consideration for Indian vegetarian tortilla soup
This Indian vegetarian tortilla soup is meatless and dairy-free. So, it is already a vegan-friendly meal.
Roti is made of atta ( wheat).
You can use a store-bought tortilla of your choice.
Use gluten-free tortillas if you are allergic to gluten.
Skip the cashew drizzle.
You may use coconut milk, thinned down yogurt, sour cream or heavy cream if desired.
The shelf life of homemade soup
This Indian vegetarian tortilla soup stays good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Freezing tortilla soup
You can make this vegan soup ahead of time and freeze in one-time-use containers without the drizzle.
Making soup oil-free
Simply skip the oil and sauté the onions with the vegetable stock itself.
Making soup without an Instant Pot.
Don’t have an instant pot then cook this soup in a big on the stovetop until everything is tender.
It may take up to 20 minutes to cook.
We love this Indian style tortilla soup because it is –
- A one-pot meal in a jiffy.
- Great use of leftover tortillas.
- An ideal recipe for vegan meal prep.
- A hidden vegetable recipe for kids and fussy eaters.
Other hidden vegetable recipes that you should try –
Keep in Touch –
Pin this recipe for future reference.
This recipe was published on Jan 21, 2016, republished on Feb 20, 2020, with improved recipe and photos.
Indian Vegetarian Tortilla Soup Recipe
Indian Vegetarian Tortilla Soup (hidden veggies and roti soup)
For the soup
- 2 teaspoon avocado oil , OR preferred cooking olive oil
- 2 " knob/ 15 grams ginger
- 50 grams onion ,medium size
- 50 grams spring onions white part
- 700 grams carrots , approx 8 medium sized ones
- 250 grams sweet potato , 1 large one.
- 3 leftover tortillas torn into pieces
- 2.5 cups low sodium vegetable stock/ water to cook the veggies.
- Salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
For spicy cashew maple drizzle
- 10-12 cashews
- ¼ cup warm water to soak cashews
- ¼ cup fresh water
- 1 teaspoon sugar-free maple syrup * or of choice
- ½ teaspoon sriracha hot sauce *
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For making the soup in Instant Pot / pressure cooker
- Roughly break tortillas into small pieces.
- Wash and clean the carrots and roughly chop. Peel sweet potato and roughly dice.Dice up the onions.
- Switch on the IP on saute mode.
- Add in the oil . Once warm add in the onions and ginger. Saute for a minute.
- Add in all other veggies , stock and tortillas. Give it a quick stir.
- Cancel Saute mode. Place on the lid and valve on sealing position. Press Manual or Pressure Cook mode on HIGH pressure 4 minutes followed by natural pressure release (NPR).or 2nd option - do 8 minutes HIGH and quick release (QR).
- After the pin falls down , carefully open the IP . Blend everything with an immersion blender or wait for it to cool down and blend in a blender pot.
For Cashew maple drizzle
- Soak cashews in warm water for 10 - 15 minutes. Now discard the water and add fresh water.
- Now blend all ingredients until smooth, add more water to reach desired consistency if needed.
- Drizzle some right before serving the soup. Top it with your favorite add ons.
- I have used croutons and spring onions.